There are two main reasons why Curtin Christian Union exists:
- To help Curtin students, Christian or not, explore the difference that Jesus makes.
- To support Christians at Curtin University in becoming all that God designed them to be.
To achieve these goals, CCU provides many opportunities that aim to:
- Share the good news with every student about what Jesus has done for them.
- Strengthen our relationships with Christ and each other, and our maturity in him.
- Provide teaching and training to prepare us for all of life.
Our vision statement for students is to be ‘Living, Connecting and Sharing…’
- Living and speaking for Jesus on campus
- Connecting together through Curtin Christian Union
- Sharing in God’s heart for the world in local and international mission
Who We Are
Curtin Christian Union is simply a group of students who study at Curtin University and who meet together regularly to explore the difference Jesus makes. Here are a few key ideas of CCU:
- CCU exists solely for the students of Curtin University.
- Anyone from any church is welcome to join us, as are those who do not attend a church. CCU members come from a wide variety of church backgrounds.
- CCU is a partnership – all students, graduates and staffworkers work together to achieve our aims. To find out more about this partnership, see “People in Charge“.
- CCU is evangelical – this means we are on about the gospel, the good news of Jesus, shown to us in the Bible. It is God’s word to us. That’s why we are committed to learning more from the Bible and letting others know about Jesus’ love for them.
Curtin Christian Union is led by a committee of students, who each bear certain titles and responsibilities. It is these people who do most of the planning and decision making throughout the year. The committee is elected each year from CCU student members, by CCU student members.
The 2018 Committee consists of Dan (president), Rachel (VP), Sam (secretary), Rebecca (treasurer) and Luke (general member).
Assisting the committee are staffworkers, who have completed formal theological training. The staff-workers are at Curtin University to provide support, training, and sound Biblical teaching, to encourage students in their walks with God, and to inspire students to let others know about the good news of Jesus Christ. Peter, Kate, Grant, Sarah, Nathan and Chin Wee are the staffworkers at Curtin. Ministry trainees also assist on campus
In addition, some CCU members are organised into working teams, who plan and run various aspects of what we do, with guidance from the committee and the staffworkers. Some of the areas that the working teams manage include the Bible Talks, Bible studies and prayer.
What We Believe
Curtin Christian Union stands by the following core truths of the Christian faith:
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of the Holy Scripture as originally given, and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of humans rendering us subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and his birth of the virgin Mary.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only through the sacrificial death, as our representative and substitute, of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective in the individual sinner, granting them repentance toward God and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.